Basic MCQs of Computer Science for NTS and PPSC Test
Basic MCQs of Computer Science for NTS and PSC Test
1. Mostly which of the following device is used to carry user files?
A. Floppy Disk B. Hard Disk C. RAM D. CDROM
2. Which device is used to backup the data?
A. Floppy Disk B. Tape C. Network Drive. D. All of the above
3. In order to play and hear sound on a computer, one needs:
A. a sound card and speakers B. a microphone
C. all of them required D. none of them required
4. Which of the following are the cheapest memory devices in terms of Cost/Bit?
A. Semiconductor memories B. Magnetic Disks C. Compact Disks D. Magnetic Tapes
5. Which of the following are the best units of data on an external storage device?
A. Bits B. Bytes C. Hertz D. Clock cycles
6. Which of the following have the fastest access time?
A. Semiconductor Memories B. Magnetic Disks C. Magnetic Tapes D. Compact Disks
7. Which of the following is a read only memory storage device?
A. Floppy Disk B. CDROM C. Hard Disk D. None of these
8. Which of the following is a programming language?
A. Lotus B. Pascal C. MS-Excel D. Netscape
9. What is a compiler?
A. A compiler does a conversion line by line as the program is run
B. A compiler converts the whole of a higher level program code into machine code in one step
C. A compiler is a general purpose language providing very efficient execution
D. None of the above
10. What is an interpreter?
A. An interpreter does the conversion line by line as the program is run
B. An interpreter is the representation of the system being designed
C. An interpreter is a general purpose language providing very efficient execution
D. None of the above
11. When a key is pressed on the keyboard, which standard is used for converting the keystroke into the corresponding bits?
A. ANSI B. ASCII C. EBCDIC D. ISO
13. A Pixel is ………
A. A computer program that draws picture B. A picture stored in secondary memory
C. The smallest resolvable part of a picture D. None of these
14. Which device is used as the standard pointing device in a Graphical User Environment?
A. Keyboard B. Mouse C. Joystick D. Track ball
15. Which number system is usually followed in a typical 32-bit computer?
A. 2 B. 10 C. 16 D. 32
16. Which number system is usually followed in a typical 32-bit computer?
A. Binary B. Decimal C. Hexadecimal D. Octal
17. Which of the following is not an output device?
A. Scanner B. Printer C. Flat Screen D. Touch Screen
18. Which of the following devices have a limitation that we can only store information to it but cannot erase or modify it?
A. Floppy Disk B. Hard Disk C. Tape Drive D. CDROM
19. Which technology is used in Compact disks?
A. Mechanical B. Electrical C. Electro Magnetic D. Laser
20. Which of the following storage devices can store maximum amount of data?
A. Floppy Disk B. Hard Disk C. Compact Disk D. Magneto Optic Disk
21. Which of the following is the largest manufacturer of Hard Disk Drives?
A. IBM B. Seagate C. Microsoft D. 3M
22. The programs which are as permanent as hardware and stored in ROM is known as
A. Hardware B. Software C. Firmware D. ROM ware
23. Memory unit is one part of
A. Input device B. Control unit C. Output device D. Central Processing Unit
24.Who built the first Mechanical Calculator
A. Joseph Marie Jacquard B. John Mauchly C. Blaise Pascal D. Howard Aiken
25. The earliest calculating devices are
A. Abacus B. Clock C. Difference Engine D. None of these
26. Punched cards were first introduced by
A. Powers B. Pascal C. Jacquard D. Herman Hollerith
27. Word length of a Personal Computer is _
A. 4 bits B. 8 bits C. 16 bits D. 64 bits
28. Cursor is a __
A. Pixel B. Thin blinking line C. Pointing device D. None of these
29. Operating system, editors, and debuggers comes under?
A. System Software B. Application Software C. Utilities D. None of the above
30. Which device is required for the Internet connection?
A. Joystick B. Modem C. CD Drive D. NIC Card
31. What does DMA stand for?
A. Distinct Memory Access B. Direct Memory Access C. Direct Module Access D. Direct Memory Allocation
32. When did John Napier develop logarithm?
A. 1416 B. 1614 C. 1641 D. 1804
33. A normal CD-ROM usually can store up to ____data?
A. 680 KB B. 680 Bytes C. 680 MB D. 680 GB
34. ATM stands for?
A. Automatic Talking Machine B. Automatic Teller Machine C. Analog Teller Machine D. Automatic Ticketing Machine
35. The Second Generation Computer was based on ………….
A. Vacuum Tube B. Silicon Chips C. Transistor D. Bio Chips
36. The Third Generation Computer was made with ………….
A. Vacuum Tube B. Discrete Components C. IC D. Bio Chips
37. he BIOS is the abbreviation of ………….
A. Basic Input Output System B. Best Input Output System C. Basic Input Output Symbol D. Base Input Output System
38. What do you call a single point on a computer screen
A. Cell B. Element C. Pixel D. Bit
39. How was the generation of computer classified?
A. by the device used in memory & processor B. by the speed of computer
C. by the model of the computer D. by the accuracy of computer
40. Through which device the main components of the computer communicate with each other?
A. Keyboard B. System Bus C. Monitor D. Memory
41. Which is a valid program to access the Internet?
A. Access B. Front Page C. Windows Explorer D. Netscape
42. Which one is the Low Level Language?
A. Assembly B. Visual Basic C. Java D. C++
43. Which is a volatile memory?
A. ROM B. BIOS C. PROM D. RAM
44. The digital signals can be represented by
A. Binary Codes B. 0 and 1 C. High and Low D. all of the above
45. Which program can be used for email?
A. Internet Explorer B. Outlook Express C. NetMeeting D. FrontPage
46. Modulator-demodulator is a device that converts:
A. Digital signal into analog signal B. Analog signal into digital signal
C. Both A and B D. None of the above
47. ___ is used for scanning the pictures and putting them in digitized form in the computer.
A. CD-ROM B. Plotter C. Bar-coder D. Scanner
48. Animator, 3D Studio, Corel Draw and Flash are………….
A. Word processors B. Spreadsheet packages C. Multimedia S/W D. None of the above
49. Which statement is valid?
A. 1 KB = 8 bytes B. 1 MB = 8 KB C. 1 KB = 1024 bytes D. 1 MB = 1024 bytes
50. Which device is used to process data?
A. CPU B. RAM C. DCU D. VDU
51. Who is known as the father of Computer Science?
A. Charles Babbage B. Howard Aiken C. Dr. Herman Hollerith D. Blaise Pascal
52. What is the capacity of a 3.5” Floppy Disk?
A. 360KB B. 720KB C. 1.2MB D. 1.44MB
53. A Personal Computer (PC) is a …………….. Computer.
A. Super B. Main Frame C. Mini D. Micro
54. What type of printers are Dot Matrix Printers?
A. Laser B. Inkjet C. Impact D. Drum
55. What is the full form of RAM?
A. Read Access Memory B. Random Access Memory C. Rapid access Memory D. none